Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bell's Palsey

Well, I have had quite an adventure the last few days. It all started Sunday when I woke up and my tongue was numb. I can be a little bit of a hypocondriac so I let everyone in my family assure me that it was nothing to be concerned with. Well, Monday when I woke up the right-side of my face was numb. Now it was not a matter of me just making something out of nothing, something was really wrong. I called my OB/GYN and he told me to go to the ER. After two+ hours of waiting, one doctor up in the Labor and Delivery unit tells me that he is 99.9% sure I have Bell's Palsey, (facial paralysis) and it was nothing to worry about and it would probably go away after I have Megan. Just to be on the safe side, however, he wanted me to go back down to the ER and have a couple of tests run just to be 100% sure of his prognosis. I spent 6 hours in the ER on a hard bed in a room while they poked and prodded me. I even got a CT scan. Then another doctor tells me he is worried I have a blood clot near my brain or I have had a Brain-Stem stroke, so he wants me to see a neurologist and get an MRI just to be safe. Only one problem, there is no neurologist at the Hospital I was at and I would have to be transfered via ambulance to another hospital 45 minutes away. Oh the fun! By the time I get to the other hospital it is after 7pm and I can not get a MRI until the next morning. Did I think to bring an overnight bag, or even a toothbrush, NO! Luckily Wal-Mart is everywhere, and I have a wonderful hubby willing to be and errand-boy! =) Anyway, I would say "long story short" but I know it is way too late for that; but, according to the MRI, I do have a brain and there is nothing wrong with it, HOORAY!!

So now I get to look funny for the next few weeks, or possibly months. I have facial paralysis on the left-side of my face and I cannot close my left eye or move that side of my mouth. I am going to be brave and post so photos, but please don't laugh. I know it looks comical, but I am still not ready to make jokes yet, give me time.

My hubby kept teasing me in the ER saying "quit winking at me, I know I am sexy!" =P


Being the comidian he thinks he is, Paul says that if I still have this Palsey at Halloween, I can be the Hunchback or Eegore! ;)

I guess it is vanity that makes me self-concious of my appearance right now, but it will be hard for me to go out into public anytime soon. I did not take a pic yet, but I have to sleep with an eye-patch on since my eye won't close. It is quite a comical sight, but I do not think I am brave enough to take that pic. yet. =)

3 comments:

The Morgans said...

Oh my goodness, like you don't have enough going on right now. Atleast it's temporary, and one day will be a funny story-just remind Paul that it is one day, not today that it is funny. Good luck and take it easy.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

OH MY GOSH!!

SHAUNA???

YOU poor girl, my last one..and i DEFINATELY mean last this time...put my body through hell and let's just say i am one organ thinner because of her....

would i say she was worth the removed body part....depends on the day..

i had a MRI because of a 5 day migrane also during my pregnancy and was so glad when i found out i too, like you, have a brain and it's ok....

i'm so glad yours is ok, but i am worried about you, poor thing.

i need to come and visit you and bring you some goodies...just let me know when you are up to it

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

"quit winking at me i know i'm sexy".....hilarious!